miércoles, 30 de julio de 2008

Interviewing the Underground Issue 01: The Ahfganhound Project: Bloodfetish

I was chatting with a friend the other day, and he asked me whether I could make an article about him and his project. I agreed, since he is a very talented unsigned musician. He is Ben Gray, and his project 'Bloodfetish'. BloodFetish is an Electro Industrial act from Chorely, England with influences from 'Heavy metal', 'Agrrotech', and the Electronic body music styles itself.




Since he is the sole member of the group, he works on the vocals and the music itself. He uses intruments such as the Synthesizer, Drum machine, programming, Sampler, and the Electric Guitar. He also does the vocals, altough he himself does not consider it singing. He uses the programs 'Reason 4 software' and the free sample editor 'Wavosaur'. He also does the mixing, which he considers the hardest part of creating music.

His influences include musicians such as 'Gary Numan', 'Nine Inch Nails', 'Foetus', 'Fear Factory', 'Assemblage 23', 'VNV Nation', 'Marylin Manson', 'Blutengel', 'Cabaret Voltaire' and others. One of his heroes is Tom Shears of Assemblage 23.

You can view his music on his Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Ahfganhound; and a Myspace page is on the works. I've also managed to interview him, and thus, here is the result:

1) Day After Day: For what reason exactly did you start this project? Do you have any inspirations?


Ben Gray: I begin this project in college after building up my confindence and skills with Reason 4 computer software and I started to make new and better tracks. I also saw a VNV Nation gig last Christmas it was great it gave me ideas into how I wanted to create my music then I started to listein to similar artists to expand with my ideas.


2)DAD: What would be one of your greatest aspirations with this project?


Ben Gray: Hopefully my project will help people around my age to discover music that they didn't know other wise. Some people around my age complain that their is too much rubbish in charts these days (personally the music charts has always had rubbish in them at some point or another, but sometimes their is something different and good in the charts, but not often). My answer is to trun off mainstream Radio, turn off MTV and go on the Internet or check local gig venues. Reading non mainstream music magazines, peoples blogs and fanzines is good too. England especially is a bad place to market Industrial music these days, it seems to fair way better in Europe and North America than it does here in England.


3) DAD: Seeing all your work seems difficult and time consuming. How much time do you usually take on your work?


Ben Gray: Good question. Sometimes it takes me one day to work on a single sound on the synthesizer, then after I have done that and I am happy with it I usally use a sqeuncer or the Arpeggiator unless I am creating chords. Drums tracks can take a long time to especially if you want a good kick drum sound or a tight snare.


4) DAD: Is there some kind of instrument or specific sound that you would like to use more commonly on your work?


Ben Gray: I would like add some guitar to my work. I would like to work on a harsher vocal sound using multiple effects and a vocoder.


5) DAD: What is one of the biggest help you have around you. For example, what kind of people around you encourage to make more of your work?


Ben Gray: My family mostly. My father likes to create similar music with his friend. Both have been really encouraging and honest with me and thats the support I need. My tutors at college have been great too.


6) DAD: What kind of song do you plan to do next?


Ben Gray: I hope to finish a song called Raw. Which lryically is about a guy who Isolates himself from everybody after breaking up with his girlfriend. Basically he goes insane and starts having dark thoughts about rape, torture and killing. I am also working on a song called Apathy which is lryically from the point of view of a American soldier in command of a patrol in Iraq. Who goes insane and orders his men to slaughter an entire village without mercy before turning on themselves.


7) DAD: Do you plan on updating your Youtube with more BloodFetish songs from the past? Or do you believe that your new work is more superior than the one you had made before, thus meaningless to post it?


Ben Gray: Good question. I am thinking of posting uncomplete pieces as tasters for people and then I post the complete tracks when they are complete. I am also thinking of setting up a myspace account as well.


8) DAD: If you could collaborate with any artist, who would it be, and why?


Ben Gray: I would like to work with Ade Fenton who produced Gary Numan's last album Jagged, maybe he could do a remix of one of my tracks? I would like to work with Tim Skold who worked with Marilyn Manson on his Eat Me, Drink Me album, which personally I find is an underrated album. He also worked with KMFDM another good Industrial Rock/Metal act. It would also be awesome if Tom Shears of Assemblage 23 would remix one of my songs. In fact it would awesome if anyone remixed one of my songs.


9) DAD: Are there things that you would change in your work, or are you fine with it?


Ben Gray: I would like to get more gear and maybe a hardware synth and a small studio set up. But I am comfortable with what I have got for now. But musically I am going to just keep going for it and keep trying my best!!!!


10) DAD: Have you performed live on an audience? If you did, how was your expirience? And if you haven't, would you like to perform live?


Ben Gray: I had to perform one song in front of college, but luckliy it was only in front of three people but it was recorded, but I don't have a copy of it yet.


11) DAD: And Finally, what words do you have to say to the people who would like to make music in the future? Any particular tips or words?


Ben Gray: Go for it, don't worry how good you are and what think other people think and stick to your guns when people say other wise!!!! Thank you for this interview, Ana.


Alright, those where words straight from Ben Gray. Thank you for co-operating, and we'll hopefully see some more of you! Good luck in your musical career.

No hay comentarios: